October 13, 2020
UFLAC & LAFD Join Forces to Support Movember
(Raising Awareness for Prostate Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Mental Health, and Suicide Prevention )
UFLAC and the LAFD will join forces to promote and support Movember during the month of November. October was the month for women to raise money and awareness for breast cancer research. Now it is time for men to step into the spotlight for Movember.
This month men around the United States and the globe are trying to raise awareness about prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health, and suicide prevention.
The primary goal of LAFD and UFLAC’s involvement in Movember is to support those personally effected by cancer and to reach thousands of people with the lifesaving message that cancer prevention and early detection can mean the difference between life and death.
All members are authorized in the month of November to wear the newly designed Movember LAFD shirt while on duty to support Mens Health Awareness. By this very public display, LAFD firefighters and paramedics can help to raise public awareness of these devastating health issues. We hope as many of you as possible will wear them.
Prostate Cancer Facts to Consider:
- 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
- Early detection is the key and can mean the difference between life and death.
Testicular Cancer Facts to Consider:
- Testicular Cancer starts young. It’s the most common cancer in young American men.
- Testicular Cancer has 95 percent survival rate but 1 in 20 meant doesn’t make it.
Mental Health & Suicide Prevention Facts to Consider:
- Globally, on average 1 man dies of suicide ever minute of every day.
- Improving Mental Health and establishing better social connections can reduce the risk of suicide.
Members can purchase their t-shirts at www.fdthreadz.com/movember for $25.00 until October 20th.
UFLAC Executive Board